PHP Treatment For Teens
PHP is an acronym that stands for Partial Hospitalization Program. PHP is a structured and intensive outpatient treatment program. Teens in an adolescent partial hospitalization program live at home while receiving daily treatment in a psychiatric hospital, a teen mental hospital, the psychiatric unit of a hospital, or a similar mental health setting. PHPs offer coordinated multidisciplinary clinical services for adolescents that are unable to function at an age-appropriate level and do not present with an imminent potential for harm to themselves or others. PHPs are a step down from the 24-hour care provided in an inpatient psychiatric hospital setting and can be used to prevent the need for an inpatient hospital stay.
Generally, partial hospitalization treatment programs typically meet at a hospital for at least four to six hours per day, three to five days per week. Every partial hospitalization program will include somewhat unique components. That said, each teenager is different and will require a personalized treatment plan to support his or her recovery process, which most PHPs will accommodate. Some of the most common outpatient components that are utilized by partial hospitalization programs may include the following:
- Individual therapy
- Substance abuse education
- Group counseling
- Relapse prevention, education, and support
- When needed, medication to reduce or eliminate withdrawal symptoms
- Family counseling and/ or education
- When applicable, treatment for underlying mental health concerns and/ or possible co-occurring disorders
The professionals that work at PHPs are experts that provide teens with the proper tools and knowledge needed to manage addiction on an ongoing basis. Adolescents will be taught life skills that can help a young person lead a life free of drugs and/ or alcohol and live a balanced lifestyle.
There is a plethora of benefits to partial hospitalization programs. Some of the possible benefits can include, but are not limited to the following:
- The cost is generally less expensive than an inpatient treatment option, while still providing high-quality treatment
- Usually, insurance is accepted by most PHPs, and will cover some, if not all of its associated costs
- PHPs allows a teen to reside in his or her own home
- Due to the possibly flexible hours, attending a PHP will reduce the need to take an extended leave of absence from school
In addition to offering many of the same services as those found in residential treatment facilities, a PHP can be a great option for teens struggling with less severe drug addictions.
For Information and Support
Seeking help is never easy, but you are not alone! If you or someone you know needs mental health treatment, we strongly encourage you to reach out for help as quickly as possible. It is not uncommon for many mental health difficulties to impact a person for the long term. The earlier you seek support, the sooner you and your loved ones can return to happy, healthy, and fulfilling lives.
Our admissions team is available to answer any general questions regarding mental health issues, treatment, and/or specific questions about the program at Pacific Teen Treatment and how we might be able to help your family. We can be reached by phone 24/7 at 800-531-5769. You can also contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.