How Do I Find A Gender Therapist?
Gender affirming therapy is a form of psychotherapy used to “validate and advocate for the needs of sexual and gender minority clients.” Gender therapists that use this therapeutic approach view gender diversity as a naturally occurring part of the human condition and not an indication of mental illness. According to Healthline, it can help empower an individual to learn to effectively navigate the unique challenges associated with young people that are:
- Questioning gender
- Uncomfortable with aspects of their gender or body
- Experiencing gender dysphoria
- Do not exclusively identify with their designated sex at birth
It is important to note that individuals do not need to identify as something other than cisgender to benefit from gender therapy. Due to the vast number of clinical providers in Los Angeles, beginning the search for a gender therapist can seem overwhelming. Below are some helpful considerations that may make the process a bit easier.
- Ask for referrals: delve into your network of trusted friends and family for referrals. Even in situations where the therapist you are referred to is unable to take you on as a client, he or she will likely be able to provide you with professional alternatives.
- Look online: there are a variety of online resources that can help you locate a gender therapist, such as Psychology Today that has compiled a list of highly qualified gender therapists in Los Angeles.
- Plan an initial meeting with several therapists: although it may seem time-consuming, planning on and meeting with more than one gender therapist can help you make an informed decision. If you have several first therapy sessions lined up with different clinicians, you can give yourself the chance to experience different styles and delineate which feels like the best fit.
It is important to note that all mental health providers are different and will offer support from a somewhat unique therapeutic perspective. When searching for a gender therapist it is imperative to have patience and bear in mind that not all therapists will be a perfect fit immediately. The only way for therapy to yield successful results is for the young person to feel comfortable with the mental health professional selected. If a gender therapist does not feel like a good fit, make an appointment with another one.
For Information and Support
Every family in need of mental health treatment must select a program that will best suit the needs of their family. When one member of a family struggles, it impacts everyone in the family unit. To maximize the benefits of treatment we work closely with the entire family to ensure that everyone is receiving the support they need through these difficult times.
Seeking help is never easy, but you are not alone! If you or someone you know needs mental health treatment, we strongly encourage you to reach out for help as quickly as possible. It is not uncommon for many mental health difficulties to impact a person’s life, the long term. Pursuing support at the beginning of one’s journey can put the individual in the best position to learn how to manage themselves in a healthy way so they can go on to live happy and fulfilling lives.
OUR KNOWLEDGEABLE ADMISSIONS TEAM CAN BE REACHED 24/7 AT INFO@PACIFICRTC.COM OR CALL: (866) 602-5512